Trace the history of Pachaiyappa’s college, Harrington Road, The lanes of Harrington, MCC School, Chinmaya, Seva Sadan & Lady Andal along with Harrisons & Panrimalai Mutt.
Starting Point & Time : Side gate of Pachaiyappa’s College Near IOB @ 630 am
Route : https://goo.gl/maps/nTjR3
Ending Point : Harrison’s Hotel Junction.
Date : 27th July’14, Sunday.
Some History :
1) The idea of shifting the college from squalid Esplanade of salubrious Chetput was a non-starter owing to paucity of funds. In 1933 the College conducted a raffle which fetched Rs.50,000/- which served as the nucleus of a fund for construction of new buildings.
The Government of Madras sanctioned a substantial building grant. Finally on March 22, 1939, Lord Erskine, the then Governor laid the foundation stone for the new buildings which were completed in 1940. The new buildings which were the envy of educational institutions in the state were declared open on August 12, 1940 by Sir Arthur Hope, the then Governor. Dr. Sir. A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar who was president of the Trust Board for 3 years successively planned and executed this new building project in a masterly and exquisite fashion.
2) Takes its name from William Harrington, who in 1784 joined the civil service and in 1796 received a grant of 10 acres to the south of the Spur Tank.
3) In 1877, the school got its present name “MADRAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE”. The school grew so much in strength and reputation, as to never lose them again. The curriculum was updated and made more comprehensive.
NAPIER GARDEN IN CHETPET In course of time, it became clear that the school should move to a larger, quieter and healthier site and the effort to move the school to a new locale was intensified by MR. KURUVILLA JACOB who became the Head Master in 1931. The present site at Chetpet, then called NAPIER GARDEN was purchased and the school moved into the newly constructed building in the year 1950.
4) The Madras Seva Sadan was founded in 1928 by Sir & Lady M. Venkatasubba Rao with their personal initial contribution of Rs. 10,000/- and further contributions on a continuous basis. Sir M. Venkatasubba Rao was the Founder-President and Lady M. Venkatasubba Rao was the Founder Honorary General Secretary and Treasurer.
5) The Vidyalaya marked its beginning with a meagre strength of 30 students at 13th Avenue Harrington Road, on 20th October 1968. The Vidyalaya has progressed remarkably and the primary section Occupies a well designed block at No. 17th , Harrington Road. The High School building located on a 20 ground plot at No 9B, Taylors Road, houses classes IV to XII. The school as grown tremendously over the years and has now got a strength of 2137 students and 95 teachers.
Lighthouse observation deck & Glance Marina
Date: 12th July 2014. Time: from 2.45 p.m. to 05.45 p.m.
The red and white banded 46-metre-high lighthouse, built by the East Coast Constructions and Industries in 1976 replacing the old lighthouse, is the famous landmark on the Marina Beach. This Chennai’s Eiffel Tower is now re-opened; after almost 20 years. One can enjoy a bird eye’s view of the Bay of Bengal from the 10th floor of the Lighthouse Observation Deck which is all set to become a beauty spot! It is the fourth lighthouse in the city and the first major one on the east coast to be thrown open to public. Light house tower has both stairs and a lift. From 9th floor one has to climb a few stairs to access a small observation area.
Meeting Point: Madras Light House, Kamarajar Salai, Chennai.
1. Viewing the glimpses of Marina, Kamarajar Salai, Fishermen Kuppam’s from the observation deck. Also visit Technical Museum.
- Entry fee:Rs 10 per adult, Rs 5 for children below 12 years (Indian Nationals). For foreign nationals, entry fee is Rs 25 per person
- Camera fee is Rs 25 and if you wish to see the museum, an additional Rs 10 per person.
- Restrictions to carry: None. Nothing is banned as such. Baggage checking is done for safety
- Waiting Time (queue): Around 00.30 minutes or more
2. After Lighthouse visit – A small get together near Gandhi statue – suggestions, plans, programs – 375th Madras Day (views invited)
Ending Point: Gandhi statue, Marina Beach Chennai
The township that got its name in the 1950s as a result of the housing development efforts instituted during the Chief Ministership of Rajagopalachari which concentrated on developing a green Chennai.
We try and spot the GREENERY across the route :-
1) Start @ Kotturpuram – Nandanam Bridge checking the Boats practicing at the Boat Club
2) Turnbulls Road & ABM Avenues
3) “Park” in the Sheraton
4) Green Boat Club
5) Avenue of R A Puram
6) End @ Kovai Pazhamudir Nilayam
Start : Kotturpuram Bridge @ 6:30 am
End : Kovai Pazhamudir Nilayam @ 9:30 am
Route : https://goo.gl/maps/hQGHV
Date : 29Jun’14, Sunday.
No need for registrations. Just land up with or without a Camera and walk with us.
Call in case of any difficulty in locating the group … Ram @ 9444062684
Date: 15th June 2014. Time: 06.30 – 09.30 a.m
Meeting Point: Madras Veterinary College, Vepery High Road, Vepery
1. Madras Veterinary College and Hospital, Vepery High Road: (MVC was established on 1 October 1903 in a small building known as Doblin Hall. Affiliated with the University of Madras in 1936. the first college to offer the bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine in India. The first veterinary university in India, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS) was formed in In 1989. horn-shaped successor, built in 2003, named the Centenary Pillar.) 2. Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), Vepery High Road: SPCA housing in an Indo Saracenic structure. Organized in 1881 by a band of Englishmen dedicated to the cause of animal welfare. 3. St. Joseph’s Church Vepery High Road near Periamet 4. Periamet Masjid, Sydenham Road : Constructed in 1838 by hides and skins’ dealers 5. Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Sydenhams Road 6. People’s Park, Chennai : Proposed by Sir Charles Trevelyan, 1st Baronet, Governor of Madras in 1859-60. Constructed between 1859 and 1861, the park is one of the oldest parks and the most famous one in the city. 7. Periamet Government Post Office. Sydenhams Road 8. Siddique Sarai Mosque & rest house, Poonamallee High Rd : Philanthropist Abdul Hakim constructed this Muslim choultry and inaugurated in 1921 9. Ripon Buildings, Poonamallee High Rd : Lord Ripon Statue, (Bronze and marble), Pitty Theagaraya, the first president of Madras Corporation, PM Sivangnana Mudaliar Statue, Raja Sir Muthiah Chettiar, S.Sathyamurthy 10. Victoria Town Hall Poonamallee High Rd (1888 – 1890) : Indo-Saracenic architecture,
Ending Point: Moore Market Alli Kulam Shopping Complex
Route : https://goo.gl/maps/OUw5H
Walk Leaders : Muthusamy Ramaiah @ 9444949507 & Hari Meyyappan @ 9962929206
“Theosophy is the wisdom underlying all
religions when they are stripped of accretions and superstitions. It offers a philosophy which
renders life intelligible and demonstrates that
justice and love guide the cosmos. Its teachings
aid the unfoldment of the latent spiritual nature
in the human being, without dependence.”
Yes thanks to the efforts of our own Mr G V Balasubramanian, we’ve got permission to walk inside the coming Saturday & Click pictures to our heart out.
But the catch is only 35 members allowed.
Walk Lead by Mr Balasubramanian G Velu – 9884349584
Starting Point : Main Gate of Theosophical Society, Adyar. The Gate in the Beasant Avenue Road.
Time : 230 pm
Date : 24May’14, Saturday.
Form to be filled : (mandatory) : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15EnYDkJ3lw8o55j_rz-oeGJlmX8d8ttxAlfmYIW1Dwk/viewform
Nungambakkam is one of the oldest parts of Chennai. It formed the western limits of Madras until the 1960s, and it was part of Madras since the 18th century.
According to K.V. Raman’s The Early History of the Madras Region, Nungambakkam features in an 11th-century copper plate pertaining to Rajendra Chola.
According to the Chennai Corporation’s records,Nungambakkam village, which was under a Mughal firman, was handed over to the British along with four other villages (Tiruvatiyoor, Kathiwakam, Vyasarpady and Sathangadu) in 1708. These five villages were hence forward known as the ‘Five New Towns’. Since then, Nungambakkam has been a part of Madras city. Public buildings and colleges rose in the 1850s.
Now the Lake in this area is non-existent and just remembered as “Lake Area” in some parcels of land.
We cover :-
1) Valluvar Kottam
2) Agatheeswarar Temple & the tank
3) Commercial Area’s of Nungambakkam
4) Independance Day Park
Walk Lead by Hari Meyyappan (Ph : 99629 29206)
Starting Point : Side gate of Valluvar Kottam
End at : Apoorva Sangeetha’s
Time : 6:30 am
Route : https://goo.gl/maps/gWjnT
The Battle of Adyar (also the Battle of Adyar River) took place on 29 October 1746. The battle involved 300 men of the French East India Company, which had recently captured nearby Madras from the British, and a much larger force of 10,000 men belonging to Anwaruddin Muhammed Khan, the Nawab of the Carnatic, who sought to take Madras from the French. In the battle, which took place near the banks of the Adyar River, the French decisively defeated the larger Carnatic force, demonstrating the effectiveness of well-trained European forces in combating poorly trained Indian troops. This happened at the Quibble Island.
We’d cover the Creek, the Tholkappiar Poonga (Estuary), Road of Ministers (aka Greenways Rd aka DGS Dhinakaran Road & PS Kumarasami Raja Salai), Broadie’s Castle, End closer to the Vasant Vihar.
Date : 27/Apr/2014.
Time : 630 am (sharp) as the Sun’ll become stronger soon.
Meeting Point : In front of the Quibble Island Cemetry.
Route : https://goo.gl/maps/NwKeB
Pls find your respective parking spaces.
Call Ram : 9444062684 if you’re new to Chennai & Can’t access Google Maps to locate the starting Point.